The Howland Mansion 52 Ash St. New Bedford, MA 02740
The Charles D. Prescott House a/k/a The Howland Mansion
52 Ash St. New Bedford, MA 02740
At 8,497 square feet of living area, it is the largest single family home in the city, by far. By comparison, the 2nd largest home in the City is situated on Hawthorn St and has 6,552 square feet.
This majestic home sits on just shy of a 1/2 acre of land, and makes it’s presence known with approximately 173 ft of frontage at the intersections of Ash Street and Moreland Terrace.
Originally built for William D. Howland in 1884 to resemble the letter “H” although *historic records show the house was built in 1896.
Sadly, Mr Howland tragically committed suicide in April of 1897 by entering into the New Bedford Harbor off the Howland Family Dock. His mills were in massive debt, and he had mortgage his home and lot on Ash St.
In September of that same year, the physician Charles Dudley Prescott purchased the Ash Street property at auction.
Dr. Charles D. Prescott (1845-1920) was attending physician at the house of corrections, and later at the St. Luke’s Hospital.
Photography: Elizabeth Silva, Silva Realty Group Inc.
The home has an enormous front foyer with dark wood and floors, which likely held many great balls. The landing on the 2nd level is said to have held a live orchestra during their parties and the 3rd level was used for Dr. Prescott’s medical practice.
The home was entered into the National Registry sometime in 1976. It’s noted to be in the County Street Historic District. According to their data, the architect was George H. Ingraham, and builder Charles E. Pierce.
This home later became the Red Cross Headquarters sometime in 1941.