Below are the current homes for sale in Manomet, Plymouth
More Information About Manomet
In November 1771 the citizens of Manomet were petitioning to become a distinct and separate precinct of the town of Plymouth which would become incorporated in 1810. In 1739 The Second Church of Plymouth was founded by 25 Manomet residents. The founders of this church were all originally members of the First Church of Plymouth and included historic Plymouth names such as Harlow, Ellis, Holmes, Bartlett, Blackmer, Cornish and Clark. The authorities of the First Church allowed this church to be founded and ordained their first minister. Although named “The Second Church” this was actually the 6th Church to be established by the First Church. It was called the Second Church because it was the second one founded by the First Church within Plymouth. The first meeting house for this church was built on a cow pasture to the east of White Horse Rd. The original church is no longer standing and there is no trace of the church today, it is now a residential area. In 1768 The first church buidling was sold off. In 1826 the second church was demolished and the present day (third) church was built. In 1716 the first school at Manomet was established and only taught writing and reading. Part of Bartlett hall (built onto the schoolhouse in the 1920s) was one of the earliest schoolhouse in Manomet built around 1830. Where a playground now stands on Brook Road, there once stood a 4 room schoolhouse.
In the early 19th century Manomet was beginning to slowly grow with family farms and a small but thriving agricultural and industrial area. Several m ills had been constructed on the outer portion of Beaver Dam Brook. These mills were most likely demolished by the 1890s when there was a bog built upstream in the Beaver Dam Brook which reduced the flow. in the 1800s a trip from Plymouth Center to Manomet costed 50 cents round trip and took nearly the entire day by horse-pulled wagon. Passengers were required to get out of the wagon and walk on the steepest parts of the trip. The Pine Hills were a major obstacle on this path. The first macadamized road in all of Massachusetts was laid in 1896 in Manomet between Beaver Dam Rd. and Vinal Ave. The State Highway was constructed over the Pine Hills and an electric car line was created. It ended its served in 1918. Cars and trolleys made the trip from Manomet to Plymouth center much easier but social divisions were also cropping up.
The citizens of Manomet felt they were being over-taxed for services that only benefitted those that lived to the north of the Pine Hills. They decided in 1855 and again in 1856 to attempt to secede from Plymouth altogether and form their own town named Cushman as a financial award was to be give by Henry W. Cushman to any town that was named after him. Both of these attempts passed in the senate but did not pass in the house and thus failed; However, to this day, there are still discussions amongst Manomet residents of secession.
Information Source > MA Historical Society
Reach Out To Us