Below are the current homes for sale in Head of the River, New Bedford
More Information About Head of the River
The Head of the river historical district is partially in New Bedford and partially in Acushnet with the town line running through them. The Head of the River area was built mainly in 2 phases. It includes homes and shops from a time of major growth in the area. The area of 3 Main St. was the supposed site of a the only Revolutionary war battle in the town. Between the end of the 18th and middle of the 19th Centuries the Head of the River village was the center for the surrounding areas that would be known as the town of Acushnet in 1860. Around the end of the 19th century, Acushnet’s population grew again after having been stagnant for decades. The industrialization taking place in nearby New Bedford began to spill over into Acushnet especially in the Head of the River area.
In the 18th century industry was developing on the streams that feed into the Acushnet river. This encouraged the development of shops, and smithies as houses spread outward from the Head of the River around the 19th century. Significant house built around this time include the Benjamin Dillingham House, 19 Main Street, the West-Kenyon House located at 21 Main Street, the Humphrey Hathaway House located at 14 Tarkiln Hill Road New Bedford, the Jonathan Swift House located at 29 Tarkiln Hill Road New Bedford, the Wing-Spooner House located at 3 Main Street, the Pratt-Clark House located at 20 Main Street, and the Captain John Hawes House located at 17 Main Street. All of these homes are in the style of Federal Vernacular Architecture. Two stores, the Jonathan swift store as well as the Lewis S. Pope store are rare early commercial buildings in the area. A piece of land known as “The Triangle” in the area consisted of a 3 cornered 4 acre parcel to the south of Main street and served as another area of development. This parcel was redeveloped in the 1910s and 20s.
Between the 19th century and the 2nd and 3rd decades of the 20th century the Head of the River area was stagnant as it saw little development whereas other parts of the town saw a growth in development. After its incorporation in the year 1860, the Town took over Number 4 School for its own use as the Town Hall as well as the Town Library located at the site of what is today 24 Main St. In the early 20th century development picked up speed again in a different form than earlier generations. Single family houses continued to be built as well as turning former single family homes into multi-families which suggests a growing population density. The increasing use of automobiles lead to the rise of buildings that could store them leading to larger buildings.
Information Source > MA Historical Society
Reach Out To Us